Monday, May 2, 2011

Day 253

Tonight I made a Cooking Light snack: Indian-Spiced Roasted Nuts.
Here's how it went.

 You'll need 1-1/2 tsp brown sugar, 1-1/2 tsp honey, 1 tsp oil, 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon, 1/8 tsp salt, 1/8 tsp ground cardamom (which I didn't have and it's expensive), 1/8 tsp ground cloves, dash of freshly ground black pepper (in the tupperware), 1/4 cup blanched almonds, cashews, and hazelnuts (I used Planters mixed nuts because it was easier and cheaper).
 
 Preheat the oven to 350.  Combine the first 8 ingredients in a microwave-safe bowl.
 Mix it together.
 Microwave on high for 30 seconds and stir.
 Add nuts and "toss" to coat.  I found this to be a joke.  This mixture is so thick that there is no "tossing" going on.
Spread the mixture on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.  Back at 350 for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
A few minutes into baking I opened the oven door to take a peek.  This is when I learned that parchment paper isn't synonymous with wax paper.  Wax paper will smoke like crazy in the oven.
So I quickly took them out of the oven and proceeded to attempt to get this gunk off the paper.
I didn't try the end result, but unless John was crazy over this, I'm not making it again.  Way too frustrating for me.
Feel free to give it a try though and let me know how it goes for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment