Monday, April 25, 2011

Day 246

Happy birthday, Mom!

My family used to live in eastern NC at a very old house with a wonderful yard.  It wasn't an old dilapidated house by any means.  It was the house where the judge and judges wife had lived and had 12 foot ceilings and arched doorways.  In my young memories of living here, it was an awesome and huge house.
While the awesome part was true, by no means was it huge.  It was just right.
But some of the most prominent memories I have of living in Nashville, NC didn't happen inside, rather outside of that home.
We had a giant crate myrtle tree that we loved to climb.  I remember one of our neighbors, Casey, climbing higher than anyone had when she got stuck and had to take her shoe off in order to get back down.  We had rhododendrons flanking either side of our front door where I remember hiding from one of my friends' parents because we didn't want her to leave.  We also had irises.  Lots of irises.  And my parents loved them so much that when we moved, they dug up lots of the bulbs and brought them with us.
Over a decade later, these irises are still going strong in the house my sister and I grew up in.


One day I'll get some of these bulbs to decorate my yard with.

No comments:

Post a Comment